Monday, November 17, 2014

What is it about Sci-Fi Romance?

So, I'm working on an alien-abduction style Sci-Fi Romance, and I'm making sure that it doesn't annoy me with any of the tropes I don't particularly care for in the genre, but it got me thinking...what might be a peeve for other readers?

What annoys you most frequently in a SFR or any fantasy-style book, and what do you feel are the best characteristics?

For me, I can't stand whiny heroines or heroes who take 70% of the book to accept what's happening and complain to everyone about how no one understands them. And I'm not a fan of the constantly discovered new & limitless powers. Characters need limitations--otherwise, conflict seems manufactured and less compelling.

What do I love about SFR? So many things...strong heroines and complex heroes; interesting abilities or cultures, world-building, and the idea that human ideals and love transcend the universe.
What do you think? Help me avoid the pitfalls!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great story of Honey and Adar.

    I like SFR when love and sex create bonds between people regardless of cultural ideals. I hate whiny main characters, men who disrespect women or subjugate women, and when sex takes over the story.

    My .02

    ReplyDelete